When it comes to using the HDMI port on the motherboard, there are several scenarios where it may be beneficial to use it.
If you have a graphics card and it doesn’t have enough ports, you can use an HDMI cable.
Please make sure you have graphics installed on your computer before we begin. You can enable integrated graphics in your Motherboard’s BIOS if you would like to use its features.
In the advanced settings section, you can access this option. The option is called “IGPU Multi-Monitor“.
Once you have saved your settings, it is time to turn off your computer and restart it. Once you have done that, you should connect your monitor. The next thing you need to do is to install the latest graphics driver.
Some motherboards that are old cannot use the video while a graphics card is installed.
It is possible that if you use a Pie graphics card, your motherboard has the option to disable HDMI permanently.
In this case, you need to perform an inspection on your motherboard to find out if it supports both Onboard Graphics and Dedicated Graphics Card.
What is HDMI?
HDMI is an interface used by multimedia devices, such as HDTVs and home theatre systems. The HDMI connector allows audio and video signals to be transmitted at the same time. The HDMI connector also has a bandwidth of 5Gbps, which makes it incredibly fast. In addition, since only 19 wires are needed to carry all of these signals, it is extremely cost-effective.
Computers were connected to a motherboard in the old days, which provided power and connections to the most important components. Today, HDMI is the only uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface that the industry has widely accepted.
HDMI is more popular and convenient than any other video or audio cable. Manufacturers have required that computers have HDMI cables in the past few years since they offer a wide array of features that require audio and video output. HDMI can be used to transmit high-definition videos and enhanced videos and digital audio over one cable.
Why Do We Need to Enable The HDMI on a Motherboard?
If you want to use more than one monitor, you should do so. However, you can’t do so since your card only has a single HDMI port. One HDMI port is standard on most motherboards.
In case you have a GPU, you can have one or more HDMI ports on it. Depending on the age and model of the GPU, you may only have one, or you may have more than one port.
When you have an old GPU or your GPU’s HDMI port is damaged, you can use the onboard HDMI on the motherboard to connect multiple displays to your PC.
How to Enable Motherboard HDMI? – 4 Simple Steps
1. If you have a CPU with integrated graphics
It seems as though there is no other option available to you if you don’t pass this step. Please make sure you have an integrated graphics card installed on your computer. The HDMI functions on this board are handled by the CPU instead of the graphics card.
There is also an option to go to Device Manager and select the Display Adapter from the list.
You should take a look to see if your computer has any graphics besides the one you are using.
To find out whether your processor has integrated graphics, you can search your processor model on Google.
With Intel Processors, you get integrated graphics as well. However, people are unable to say the same about their AMD counterparts.
It is only AMD Processors with the ‘G’ designation that are equipped with such a feature.
If you want to connect an AMD motherboard with an HDMI output to an AMD system, To use this program, you need to have a computer with a “G” designated CPU, like the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G.
2. Enable Integrated Graphics in BIOS
When you have confirmed that the CPU supports integrated graphics, you should take the following steps:
- Once you have saved all the work you have done, you should turn off your computer.
- The first thing you need to do is find the BIOS menu. Different keys depend on the kind of computer you have. Usually, the F1, F2, F8, or F12 keys are used. You can also refer to your motherboard’s manual for further information.
- If you want to change the BIOS, be careful. You might change it for the wrong thing or make it worse. Different boards have different ways of interacting with the BIOS.
- In the top menu, you will find Advanced Settings. Any IGPU-related settings may be found here, such as multiple displays..
- You need to turn this setting on if it is turned off. When you turn it on, the motherboard’s HDMI output will also be enabled.
- You should save your changes and then press enter to confirm.
- You should restart your computer and start it up again.
3. Connect your Display Device / Monitor
- Connect your monitor to the “HDMI” socket on the back of your video card.
- It is now time to connect the other monitor to the HDMI port on your motherboard.
- You will need to plug the HDMI cable into the monitor.
- You should see your monitors when you start Windows. You can adjust the display settings for those monitors. To do this, click on your desktop and then select Display Settings.
- If you go into the menu, you can change how your monitors look and what is displayed.
4. Install the Latest Integrated Graphics Driver
It appears that your secondary monitor has not been detected. Therefore, it may be necessary for you to update your integrated graphics driver.
- The Device Manager is located in the Control Panel of Windows. Look for an unknown device in the Device Manager.
- It is recommended that you download the latest driver for your computer from the manufacturer’s website. It is also possible to let Windows search for one automatically.
- I think it’s time for you to restart your computer. Go into the settings and turn on the secondary monitor once the computer starts up again.
There are many reasons why people use the HDMI socket on their motherboards. There are many reasons why they cannot run multiple displays on their Graphics Processing Unit, including the fact that there are not enough ports.
Today, there are many GPUs on the market that have two HDMI ports. So if you have a graphics card with several ports, you don’t have to worry about getting an onboard HDMI port if you have a graphics card with multiple ports.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use HDMI on the motherboard?
The HDMI port on your motherboard can be used to connect a second monitor. First, however, you need to make sure you do this within the BIOS settings. You can find an instruction section above that will guide you through the entire process. There is a need to connect the HDMI cable to the integrated graphics on your motherboard and CPU, not to your graphics card. Your computer’s graphics can be enhanced by accessing the BIOS of the motherboard. However, it is possible that the graphics won’t be as good if you have a better onboard setting on your motherboard.
Is it safe to use an HDMI port on the motherboard?
It is safe to use the HDMI slot if your computer includes an integrated graphics card.
Is it possible to use three displays with this method?
If your computer has two HDMI ports and a graphics card that connects to a PCIe slot, then you can connect three monitors to it. You should also make sure that the conditions that I mentioned above are met.