Like your motherboard, every device has an expiration date. Your computer’s performance and compatibility will improve if you upgrade the motherboard. The motherboard is an important component of a computer. It needs to be replaced if it gets damaged, otherwise, your computer won’t work.
When you replace a motherboard or CPU, you have to reinstall Windows. If you replace the motherboard on a computer, you will have to reinstall Windows. You can apply this to any version of Windows, including 10/8/7 or even older versions. There are a lot of applications and programs to reinstall when you reinstall Windows. You may also lose important data if you don’t have a backup.
If you’re replacing your motherboard, you’ll have to reinstall Windows. There aren’t any drivers to fix your computer if you change some of the hardware.
It is very helpful to read this article about how to replace your motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10/8/7. Our article covers three methods. They’re good and reliable, and they’ll work for people who need them.
- If you want to replace the motherboard in your computer without reinstalling Windows, then follow these steps
- Method 1: If you want to replace your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, then you need to use AOMEI Backupper.
- Method 2. If you want to upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, change the registry
- Method 3. To change your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, you can use the offline registry editor
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to replace the motherboard in your computer without reinstalling Windows, then follow these steps
The article discusses three ways to successfully replace your motherboard. They are:
- Changing the motherboard without having to reinstall Windows. You can do it using AOMEI Backupper.
- If you want to upgrade your computer without having to reinstall Windows, you need to change the registry.
- If you change your motherboard, you don’t need to reinstall the operating system because you can do it without it. All you need is a software called offline registry editor.
Here’s how we’ll do our first method.
Method 1: If you want to replace your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, then you need to use AOMEI Backupper.
You can restore Windows on any computer with AOMEI Backupper, even if they are different ones. You can call this a universal restore.
In this way, the computer still starts without having to change any Windows settings. If you’re going to replace the motherboard, you should make a backup of important data. Once you have changed it, you can “restore” your old data from your backup.
Other recovery software is available, but AOMEI Universal Restore is the easiest to use.
Step I: Take a backup of your computer.
- Download the AOMEI Backupper software.
- On your PC, run the software.
- The system backup will be found under the backups tab.
Make sure you have a backup of all your work.
- Now you can choose where to put your backup.
- Click on the button that says “Start Backup”. You can also take a backup of your files in your original hard drive or any external hard drive.
Step 2: make a bootable media.
- To make your computer work, you need to make bootable media. Windows might not work after you replace the motherboard.
- Go to the tool section.
- To use a bootable media, you will need to download it and then create the disk.
Step 2: Activate the universal store.
- When you start up your computer, tap F2 or DEL for changing the boot order.
- To make the bootable disk, do it like you did before.
- Once you load AOMEI Backupper, you will see the Restore option. Choose it.
- To choose a backup, click the select image file or task.
- This program will be asking you two questions. The first is if you want to use your backup or repair your partition. You can choose either one.
- Before you start the restore process, check Universal Restore.
Method 2. If you want to upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, change the registry
After replacing the CPU and motherboard in Windows 8 or Server 2021, the msahci key changes. There will be no more MSAHCI keys in those Window systems after the change and the StorAHCI key will replace it. Make a backup of your computer before editing the registry. That way, if something goes wrong, it won’t cause problems.
Step 1: Connect your Windows account to your Microsoft online account
You should already have linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10/8/7 account. So you can reactivate Windows even if you get a new one. Just follow these steps:
- In Windows, go to Start>Settings>Update and Security.
- In the left panel, you will see a button that says “Activate”; click on it.
- “Add an account” section in the right side of your screen.
- Now, please sign in with your Microsoft account.
- The link is finished.
Step II: Your computer’s registry needs to be modified and its motherboard replaced.
- Press windows and R on your keyboard for the Run dialog box.
- Click “Start.” Type “Regedit.” Press enter.
- In the Registry Editor, find the key.
4. On the right panel, double-click on the start. Then put in 0 for the value.
5. The date of the key should be changed to zero. The key is given below.
6. Now that you have made the changes, save them.
7. Exit the Registry Editor.
8. Turn your computer off.
9. You need to change the motherboard.
10. Your Windows will boot without any problems.
Step III: When you replace the motherboard in your computer, you need to reactivate Windows
Windows 10/8 might not work after you change the motherboard. Follow these steps:
Windows 7 might be activated without any problems.
- Go to settings>update and security>Troubleshoot. You can reset Windows 10 after you change the hardware on your device.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account and click the “Active” button. The system will get the activation key from your account.
- If you want to change your Windows account from a Microsoft account, you can.
If you want to move your hard drive to a new PC without the Windows process, you can do it with this method.
Method 3. To change your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, you can use the offline registry editor
Before replacing the motherboard, you should edit the registry. Otherwise, your computer may not start. Below are steps you can take to fix this problem:
- First, put the installation disc in your computer. Then press the button to start..
- To enter the BIOS, keep pressing F2 and DELL. You should do this until you can get into it.
- Set disc as a first boot option.
- Click on F10 to save your changes and then restart.
- Customize your settings. After that, you can fix your PC.
- Go to Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt.
- Open Windows by typing “regedit” in the search bar. Then choose to open the registry editor.
- Now, check the key. It’s called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Highlight it with your mouse.
- Select the File button and select Load Hive.
- Open the system file by choosing your computer’s hard drive.Typically, C:\Windows\system32\config\system that’s a path.
- When you type in a key name, you get Offline mode. When you click Okay, it will be there.
- Check the given keys “ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Offline\ControlSet001\services\msahci and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Offline\ControlSet001\services\pciide .
- You will need to change the start values of the keys to 0.
- Offline Key is when you highlight something, then you go to the file option. Then when you are finished making changes, click “Unload Hive.”
- Close the window of the Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer to change the settings for BIOS. Once you take out the disc, your computer will work properly.
Windows 10 still is not loading?
You might have chosen the wrong boot mode if you can’t boot Windows 10. The new motherboard uses UEFI, but the old one uses legacy BIOS.
To find out how to fix this, follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer. When it starts up, point the mouse to ‘BIOS’.
- Change the option to Legacy boot priority after selecting Boot. At this time, you should select UEFI.
Windows License Key Activation
Windows has different types of licenses. They are:
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) are the ones who make the first thing on the market. In the part you buy to connect with the motherboard, the license has already been installed.
You can transfer this retail license among many computers if you purchase it.
Volume licenses are ones you can buy in bulk. In general, this type of license is used by big organizations like universities, businesses, and governments. Users can activate multiple installations with a single key.
You will automatically be connected to the internet when your computer starts if you have a retail or volume license. An OEM key needs to be started by a smartphone. A few minutes are needed to activate it as it is locked to the original hardware.
How to Check Your License Key?
In Windows, you’ll need to click on This PC. Then you will see some options. You should choose Properties. Scroll down and look for the Product ID. If it’s there, then it’s an OEM license key. And if it’s not, it’s either a volume license key or a retail license key
Additionally, the license key you get from Microsoft is a retail key. The OEM key usually comes with Windows 10/8/7. Big companies often get volume licenses.
The Windows 10 license type can be found by doing this: In the Start menu, search for Command Prompt. The best match will appear. You’ll see the Windows Script Host screen after you type in slmgr-dli. In this description, you’ll see what kind of license key your system has.
When you activate your Windows computer using the 8.1 or 7 product key: Windows will be updated to the newest version. There are times when you’ll need to purchase a new license key (a paper document) and it can be expensive.
Some Windows users didn’t have a key. They only had a “digital license” in their settings. If Windows 10 isn’t on the computer, use the Windows 7/8/8.1 key. Follow these steps:
- Tap on the Windows Key + I
- Choose update and security.
- Open Activation.
- Click on the Change Product Key. It is right under the Update Product Key.
- Type the Key for Windows 7/8/8.1
- Select Next.
- Now, your windows 10 will get activated.
If Windows is still having issues, do this.
Windows is not installing on your system if the activation of the license is not the problem. Replace the driver and this might fix the problem. Most often, this problem is seen in Windows 7 and 8. However, Windows 10 can also suffer from this issue. To fix it, you should use recovery tools and diagnostic tools.
You can use the troubleshooter if you have a problem with your computer. It will help you find a solution. If it doesn’t work, but the computer into safe mode and disable the drivers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I reinstall windows without replacing a new MOBO and CPU?
It is possible. You must remove the license in order to transfer it to another PC. If you want to move all licenses or upgrade for free by older systems, the permit will soon be deactivated. You can use the reset option if Windows 10 does not have a deactivation option.
When you replace the motherboard, does it cause any computer data to be lost?
The data will be lost if the motherboard, RAM, and CPU are not replaced. The data will remain on the hard drive. However, if you reinstall Windows, the data will be lost. No worries! We have written a post about how you can restore your data and reactivate needed windows to help you avoid this problem.
Can I change the CPU without reinstalling Windows?
You can use the Processor in the same way. You should always test hardware before replacing it, such as the CPU and motherboard. If there’s a problem with the computer, you can’t use it. Make sure they’re compatible before you replace them.
There are many things inside a PC. This device is useful for both business and personal reasons. Windows will also have to be reinstalled if you need to replace the motherboard, CPU, or other parts. You will lose all data if you do this.
The guide that we prepared tells you how you can replace a motherboard without reinstalling Windows. The guide tells you how to change your motherboard with Windows in three ways and other details. It is important to remember that each method is dependent upon the situation.
While you change the motherboard and restart Windows, keep your computer safe. I hope this helps. Please tell your friends who are experiencing the same problem. Please let us know if you don’t understand anything in this article in the comments. We’ll do our best to answer your questions. Have a great day.